Last week, we discussed three truths that we see about God in creation. Today, let me mention three more truths.
4. God is a finisher. (Genesis 2:1; Hebrews 4:3)
God finished creation. On the seventh day, He rested. It was finished. Whatever God starts, He finishes. He is not like many of us who begin a project, and never quite finish it. God did all of His creative work in six days, and then He rested.
5. God is a God of wisdom.
A quick question for you: What was the first thing that God created? Was it light, the heavens, the earth? Technically, it was none of these. It was wisdom. Proverbs explains it this way:
“The Lord brought me (wisdom) forth as the first of his works, before his deeds of old; I was appointed from eternity, from the beginning, before the world began. When there were no oceans, I was given birth, when there were no springs abounding with water; before the mountains were settled in place, before the hills, I was given birth, before he made the earth or its fields or any of the dust of the world.
I was there when he set the heavens in place, when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep, when he established the clouds above and fixed securely the fountains of the deep, when he gave the sea its boundary so the waters would not overstep his command, and when he marked out the foundations of the earth. Then I was the craftsman at his side.
I was filled with delight day after day, rejoicing always in his presence, rejoicing in his whole world and delighting in mankind. “Now then, my sons, listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways. Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not ignore it. Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord. But whoever fails to find me harms himself; all who hate me love death.” (Proverbs 8:22-36)
So, with wisdom, God created. Scripture attests to this: “O Lord, how manifold are your works! In wisdom you have made them all” (Psalm 104:24).
It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens (Jeremiah 10:12; 51:15).
“The Lord by wisdom founded the earth; by understanding he established the heavens; by his knowledge the deeps broke open, and the clouds drop down the dew” (Proverbs 3:19–20).
Think about God’s wisdom in creation:
The earth rotates perfectly around the sun. If a little more or less, we would freeze or burn up.
The sun is 93 million miles away. It is 11,500 degrees Fahrenheit, yet its heat hits the earth at just the right temperature.
God uniquely made the bird to fly, and the fish to swim and live underwater.
The moon’s 200,000 mile distance from the earth perfectly keeps the waves from crashing over the continents.
The human body has over 100,000 miles of blood vessels in the body of a 170-pound person. That’s equal to 4 times around the equator!
6. God tells us that we humans are the crown of creation.
Genesis 1:27 famously states, “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” So, unlike anything else in God’s creation, we were created in the image of God. But what exactly does that mean? It means many things, but let me briefly mention four things:
(1) We were created with a God-given personality. We have a mind, will, and emotions. It’s amazing how people, even siblings raised in the same family, can have such vastly unique and different personalities. My twin brother and I have very differing personalities. God creates all of us with our own unique personalities; we are all “fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139:14).
(2) We were created with God-given sexuality. The Scripture says that God created us “male and female.” God designed the sexes to complement one another, and to show the beauty of both masculinity and femininity.
(3) We were created with God-given morality. We are moral beings with a moral consciousness. Deep down, we know the difference between right and wrong. God has written this on our consciences (Romans 2:14-16).
(4) We were created with God-given spirituality. We were created with the ability to relate to God. Nothing else in creation can connect and relate to God like we can.
When you think about creation, remember that we were created by an awesome God. And this same awesome Creator considers us special. As the psalmist said, “When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?”